Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

pregnancy ticker

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Transfer Day

Or, Valium Day, as I'm coming to think of it....

Our appointment was for 915 in the morning. Since we were literally just a mile from the clinic, this was no big deal. The only thing I had to do ahead of time was to start guzzling the water, so my bladder would be full enough for the ultrasound. I started with an 8oz glass about 845. I had at least three, if not four, glasses in before we even left the room.

Chris and I followed the instructions to the clinic. We pulled into a lot that was filled with commercial looking buildings- you know, where there are multiple business offices, doctor offices, dentists, etc. Well, we found three or four different doors, in 2 different buildings, that had the name of the clinic stenciled on them. Which one to choose, which one to choose????

The first door we went to was locked. We rang the conveniently located bell, but no one answered. The second led into this tiny reception area. We stood there for 3 or 4 minutes before deciding there was no one even in the "office". On to door #3. In we walked to a large wood paneled reception are (think late 70s, not mod office) , with the reception girls located behind counters and sliding glass windows. Looks like we finally chose the right door. Lots of women, lots of hustle and bustle.

After the requisite wait in the outer room, and another cup of water, Chris and I were ushered back to the "changing room". Shelved room, tupperware bins on the shelves, and lone chair in the corner. I bared all from the waist down, put on and OR hat and booties, and wrapped a paper gown around myself. Chris climbed into his bunny suit, and also donned booties and a cap. Then the nurse came in with the magic pill.

Most places will give you a pre-transfer relaxation medication. While given mainly to decrease the incidence of uterine contractions, it has the added secondary benefit of being an anti-anxiety happy pill.

On to the transfer room..... Up on the Reagan era exam table (the wood paneling matched the reception room...), and wait for that happy pill to kick in. Now, here's where the whole thing gets fuzzy for me. I remember the tech coming in to see if my bladder was full enough for transfer yet (No. Seriously??? I already have to pee...) Then a little more waiting. And another cup of water.

I remember the doc coming in. I remember Chris putting on his mask, and I remember the ultrasound tech putting the scanner back on my belly. I vaguely remember the speculum (not a bad thing), but I don't remember the actual transfer at all.... I was really wanting to watch the embryos go in, but I totally missed it. Chris saw, and said it was pretty cool....

The next thing I know, the nurse is laying me basically upside down, wanting to know if I I needed the bedpan or if I could wait 30 min. Uuuummmmm... wait? Okay.

5 minutes later I was asking for the bedpan. I have a new appreciation for bedpans. They are NOT easy to use. I can hardly pee in a cup in the doctor's office in the bathroom alone. My bladder, ridiculously overfull as it was, was NOT thrilled with the bedpan idea. It took me awhile, but I made it happen.... All the while praying that those two little embryos weren't tumbling out as I, um, went.

An eye blink later, and the nurse was telling me that I could get dressed and head "home". Chris bundled my sleepy buns into the car, took me back to the hotel, and tucked me into bed. Where I promptly slept 90% of the day away.

No comments:

Post a Comment