Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

pregnancy ticker

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The dreaded pre-medication final screening

In the surrogacy world, before you're even considered for embryo transfer, you have to pass a medical screening put in place by whatever fertility clinic is doing the transfer. I'm assuming that the screening is fairly standard, as my two lists of "what to expect" were similar. There are blood draws for me and Chris, a pap for me, an "investigation" of my uterus to make sure it's got all the pieces and parts and functioning correctly, and a "mock transfer" (where the doc does what will happen during an actual transfer for measuring purposes). Of course, this is only after all my medical records have been reviewed.

While it's a lot of little things, it's fairly benign. For someone who has had healthy pregnancies, and no medical problems. Someone like me. But, I thought the same thing a year ago.

This was the part I was the most apprehensive about. Logically I knew I had nothing to worry about. But this is where my last surrogacy came to a screeching halt. One of my docs who had cleared me for pregnancy last year suddenly pulled the plug. This time I was cleared by three different doctors. I had it written down and in hand. I wasn't going to be derailed again....

All I has to do was "pass" these tests, then we would have the green light to move forward. To meds. To a transfer!!! I wasn't worried about the blood work at all. I had a pap with my OB a few months before, so I didn't have to do that again. So, there was the mock transfer, and something called a hysterosalpingoscope (HSG).... I think that HSG might deserve a post of its own!

No comments:

Post a Comment