Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

pregnancy ticker

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Bedrest Rocks?

So, after the transfer is complete, one is on doctor mandated bedrest for 2-3 days. Two days in my case. Many people look at the word "bedrest" and envision countless hours whiling away in bed with the TV remote, a take out menu, and maybe a good book or two. Sounds like a lot of fun.

It is. On a lazy Sunday afternoon, when staying in bed all day is your idea.

On the day of the transfer, I was allowed to get up and use the bathroom. No sitting up to eat, no standing in the shower. I could lay on my back or sides, but preferably not on my stomach. Tricky, as I'm a stomach sleeper.

I won't lie. The first day wasn't bad. We came back from the clinic, went back to bed, and pretty much crashed until about 4 in the afternoon. I fell in love with the pizza from the Italian place the night before, and sent Chris back there for dinner that night. By the time "bedtime" rolled around, my hips and lower back were getting a bit sore. But what the hey- I was going back to sleep anyway!

Day 2. I was allowed to move to the couch. Today I could sit up to eat my meals, and stay upright long enough for a shower. Bless Jason for booking us a room with a couch. It was great to have the option to move to a "new" location. I was awake more, but had a harder time staying comfortable too. About halfway through the day, I was wishing I'd packed some tylenol for the hips and lower back. Chris and I entertained ourselves with episodes of Weeds and TrueBlood, and had Chili's for lunch. And dinner.

Still. Enforced relaxation is a very different animal than just having a lazy day or two. For some reason, I kept having the crazy compulsion to get up and run around the room. Probably just because I wasn't supposed to.

I will say, though, that every time I did get up, all I could think about was those tiny little embryos falling right out of me. I think someone out there needs to invent some sort of bio-adhesive fixative they can treat the embryos with before transfer. Not something that guarantees implantation, just something that guarantees that the little guys will at least stick to something when they get pipetted in there. That way I don't have to constantly worry that they're going to fall out!

Really, before we knew it, it was time to pack up and head home again.

Oh!

I'd like to give a quick shout out to the name-unknown toll booth operator that Chris and I met on our journey back to the Philly Airport. Thank you from the bottom of our hearts for letting us through the 5 dollar toll area (at 445 am) with the buck 55 in change I scrounged from the bottom of my purse. We, being from far out of town, were relying on our phone navigation to lead us back to the airport. Why the phone genie chose to lead us over a toll bridge, we'll never know. They don't have toll bridges/ roads where we come from.....

No comments:

Post a Comment