Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

pregnancy ticker

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Saturday, November 17, 2012

Transfer Day!!!

November 15, 2012

Today is the day!!!  All the meds, all the blood tests, all the ultrasounds...  All in preparation for today- we're going to transfer embryos into my uterus, and hope with all our beings that we grow a baby!

My transfer time was at 11am.  But I was going to do the acupuncture as well- it takes place both before and after the transfer, so I had to be there at 10.  I'm glad that the appoint time was in the morning.  We pretty much got up, got everyone ready for the day, and left.  The big kids went to school as usual, and Finn went to hang out with our friend Christine for a few hours.

I was more curious about the acupuncture than scared.  Chris had been talking to Scott (the acupuncturist) on and off for about a week, so we knew a little of what to expect.  We did NOT, however, expect him to be 6'6 tall!!!  I think I came up to maybe his belly button....  He took me and Chris back to the transfer room to get us settled.  Things in our room looked updated and maybe even new-ish; in stark contrast to the Regan era transfer room we had been in last time!!!  lol.....  Chris was able to stay in his own clothes this time, and neither of us had to wear an OR bouffant cap.  After the obligatory disrobing from the waist down and wrapping myself in a sheet, we called Scott back in to get started.

I was also given that magic of magic pills at this time.... the Valium.  Clinics give Valium pre-transfer to induce relaxation and to reduce the incidence of of uterine contractions with all the goings- on that will happen in there.  The acupuncture was painless and quick.  He was using 36 gauge needles (translation, very small)- in my feet, ears, wrists, the top of my head, and in my lower abdomen.  There was maybe a little pin prick when the needles were placed, but after that, the sites only felt warm.  The goal of the acupuncture was relaxation and increase blood flow to the appropriate areas.  To be honest, I'm not sure if it helped with my relaxation or not- the Valium kicked in about the same time he was done placing the needles.  I rested in quiet peace for about 25 minutes before he took the needles out. 

Then it was transfer time!  Dr. Slater came in to discuss the procedure with me.  There were 12 blasts (5 day growth embryos) in the lab; 6 from Johnny and 6 from Seth.  The plan was to transfer 2 of Seth's blasts, and hope for one to take, and to freeze Johnny's for a later date.  As Dr. Slater was going over the paper with me, she said that we were implanting 1 blast.  I said "only one???".  Turns out she has just spoken to Seth, and he and Johnny had decided to just implant one embryo....  Okay, I thought, the pressure's on!


After making sire that my bladder was sufficiently full (it was...), it was time to place the embryos... uh, embryO.  Even through my Valium haze, I made extra special sure to pay attention to what was going on.  For all the preparation that goes on, the actual transfer is surprisingly short and uncomplicated (at least on my end).  They clean the cervix off with a wash, then thread a double lumen catheter up into my uterus.  Then they pull out the inner catheter and place the embryo into that.  They rethread the catheter, then place the embryo in the uterus.  Sr. Slater pointed out that it was placed between two air bubbles- so she could see exactly where it was going. 


After the placement, I was reclined back on the table, and Scott came back in for the second round of acupuncture.  This time the needles went into my hands, my legs (by my knees???), my ears, and I don't really remember if there were any more.....  My bladder was super full, but I was relaxed enough that it didn't bother me too much this time.  Another 20 minutes, and the needles came out, and it was time to go home.

Now comes the waiting.....
Our official Beta draws will be on Wednesday and Friday next week.
I hate waiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment