Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

pregnancy ticker

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Delivery

Delivery

Here we are on Easter Sunday, 2 days from our planned induction date. Jason, Chris, and I knew awhile ago that delivery probably wasn't going to go quite like we were planning. Even my mom was expecting Little Miss to come a little early.

The night of April 2nd, I just didn't sleep well. Looking back, I think I was contracting a lot of the night. I remember tossing and turning, waking up often, and generally just not sleeping well. At 5am, my contractions were starting to come every three minutes, and I just couldn't sleep through them any more. They weren't awful, but definitely more than just the tightening that I had been having. I stayed in bed for the next 45 minutes or so. Finally I decided to get up and shower, then go eat some toast and just putter around the house for awhile- just to see if the contractions kept up.

My bathroom is about 7 steps from the side of my bed. As soon as my feet hit the linoleum, I felt this strange little.... give... is the only way I can describe it. Then there was a little bit of warm wet on my legs. All I could think was "Holy crap, I think my water just broke!!!". So I stood there for a couple more minutes. Sure enough, when I moved, a little clear, but pink tinged fluid hit the floor. Part of me was relieved... Now I didn't have to mess around with irregular contractions, wondering when I should go into the hospital. So, I woke up Chris and had him work on getting someone over to the house to watch the kids. I took a quick shower, and off to the hospital we went!

When we got to the hospital, labor and delivery was packed to the gills! Apparently most of the babies in our area decided they needed to come on April 3rd, too.... One of my very best friends stayed over-after already working a 12 hour night shift- to be my nurse. On the way in, I was doubting myself about breaking my water because I never had more than a little trickle at a time. Buuuttt.... as soon as I sat down in the triage bed, I flooded the thing! I was 4cm dilated and definitely ruptured.

I was admitted at 7:30 that morning. By 8, I was set up in my room with my IV, my husband, and my best friend. Chris had run into my doctor in the elevator (as he was going off call), and he was wonderful enough to stay on for me too. The only- really LARGE- kink in the karma of the morning was that Jason wasn't there! We called him as soon as we were sure we were staying, and wouldn't you know it, there were NO flights available into our city.... All day!!! I knew the baby would most likely be delivered before he could get there, but Chris and I were really bummed that he wasn't going to be able to hop a flight and get started on the journey in.

My labor progressed fairly quickly, which is normal for me. I was 5-6 cm with an epidural by 1030, and probably the most comfortable I'd been in a week! My bestie finally got to go home, and another of my favorite nurses took over our care. She was the nurse I had when my oldest was born, so it was almost like coming full circle! We think I was probably ready to push between 1230 and 1pm, but my doc had a complicated patient in the office, and we were waiting for him to come over to the hospital. In that time, though, we realized that we could Face Time with Jason via our various Apple products. So, he was going to "be there" for delivery after all!!! We love technology....

At 1:29pm, in the presence of my husband, some of my very good friends, and her daddy (via FT), Little Mia Ryan G. Made her entrance into the world. She was tiny, screaming, and perfect. It was a fast delivery, emotional and fantastic, and I couldn't have asked for a better experience.
Jason was able to "hang out" with us for awhile, and watch all of Mia's clean up. It was so sweet to be able to hold her, and meet this little person who was so special in so many people's lives.



No comments:

Post a Comment